01 April 2010

Database Project


Before reading the instructions for the Database project, I had never heard of Microsoft Access. I am familiar with Word, Excel (obviously) and the software suite Microsoft Office...but not Access.

Once I opened Access I browsed around on my own to get somewhat familiar before I embarked on the project. I watched the first lecture, completed the first portion of the project (creating the table), and everything was fine. I felt like I knew what I was doing. I watched the second lecture (importing tables) and thought "this might be a little tricky, but I'll manage." But once I attempted to complete the importing tables section of the project, it took me HOURS to figure it out. Trial and error over and over and over again. I was furious. I read the discussion board posts, browsed the Web, searched every resource I could. I was so livid to the point where I didn't want to do it. That was until I came across a discussion board post that was directly related to my problem. After that obstacle, everything else was extremely smooth. It was such an accomplishing feeling when I finished the project.

There is not just one key thing that this project taught me. This project taught me EVERYTHING that was entailed in the project. It was helpful for the lectures to compare certain aspects of Access to Excel, that definitely enabled me to grasp concepts easier...

If I could enhance the functionality of this project I would have allocated specific information to certain tables. I would have enabled relationships among tables so that if I created a table of individual members there was a link that provided access to those individual members that joined a certain date, or lived in a specific city/zip code.

T
his project opened my eyes to the many options that I would have been able to organize a business that I owned. It enables one to strategically organize and categorize specifics of a business that is necessary to continue to grow and profit from a business.

No comments:

Post a Comment